Pages

Advertising

Pat Edmonson Endorses Mike Signer

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Yesterday afternoon, Pat Edmonson filed to run for the Democratic nomination in the 82nd House of Delegates District instead of for lieutenant governor. Today, Edmonson made an endorsement in the LG race.
As I have worked these past months to communicate my message to voters, I have also had an opportunity to learn more about the three colleagues who were also seeking the Democratic nomination for Lieutenant Governor. While all three are good people, over time I became convinced that Mike Signer is a true talent whose ability to communicate about issues that matter to real people is unmatched in the remaining field. I have also become increasingly concerned about the state of the House of Delegates, and I believe firmly that Democrats must capture a majority in the House in order to truly advance any progressive agenda.

[...]

I will continue my campaign to make Virginia better, as a candidate for the House of Delegates. I will also support and campaign vigorously for the person who I believe best represents hope and real change for Virginia in Richmond as Lieutenant Governor, and that person is Mike Signer.

Interesting, but the question is, will this endorsement help Signer in Virginia Beach, among progressives, and/or among Pat Edmonson's supporters? I'm not sure, but I'll certainly be watching the next round of polls to see whether Signer picks up any or all of Edmonson's people.

UPDATE: Virginia Beach Democratic activist Dan Sullivan has some pointed thoughts on Pat Edmonson. After reading that, I wonder if Mike Signer - or anyone else - would WANT Edmonson's endorsement.

UPDATE #2: Someone I respect pointed out to me that this would be like Dennis Kucinich endorsing a presidential candidate after he got out of the race. That would excite a small group of left-wing activists, but probably leave most other Democrats scratching their heads.

UPDATE #3: Mike Signer issues a statement
We're glad this is now a three-person race. On the strength of his message of transforming the office of Lieutenant Governor from a placeholder to a public advocate, Mike is looking forward to a spirited debate with the remaining candidates, to winning the nomination, and to defeating Bill Bolling in November.