Pages

Advertising

47th House of Delegates Interview: Andres Tobar

Monday, April 6, 2009

The following is the fifth (and last) in my series of interviews with the five Democrats - Miles Grant, Patrick Hope, Alan Howze, Adam Parkhomenko, and Andres Tobar - running to replace Del. Al Eisenberg in the 47th House of Delegates district. This Q&A is with Andres Tobar. Thanks to Andres for answering my questions, and to all the other candidates in the race (Note: Adam Parkhomenko's interview is available here; Miles Grant's is here; Patrick Hope's is here; and Alan Howze's is here).

Q. Why, in your own words, have you decided to run for the Virginia House of Delegates from the 47th district at this time? What specific qualifications do you bring to the table?
I was a lucky man when I made Arlington County my home more than 30 years ago after transferring from California to a new position with the U.S. Department of Education. During that time, I’ve found Arlington to be a forward looking, caring community that allows its residents to take an active role in their community and government. I jumped into such activism feet first, and was part of a variety of activities, causes, and organizations. I learned that one person can make a difference, whether it’s serving on a county commission or school committee, volunteering for a non-profit dedicated to helping those in need, or helping a worthy candidate become elected to office.

My activism has led me beyond Arlington’s borders, and I have been honored to meet other Virginians who care about the Commonwealth and want to solve problems. I have learned that progress can be made and solutions found by reaching out to those with opposing views and engaging them in conversation, rather than simply drawing a line in the sand. I have been active in the plight of immigrants, many who are Latino, but I also have gone to Richmond to advocate for issues of social justice. I believe that my 30 years of civic activism in Arlington County and beyond have led me to seek this seat in the House of Delegates. I know it well and I would be honored to serve the people of the 47th District.

I am an American of Latino heritage, one who did not learn English until I was 5 years old. My own experiences have led me to focus on education opportunities and helping those struggling to achieve what all of us want: good employment, decent housing, food and health care, and the ability to support one’s family.

If I am successful in the June 9th Democratic Primary and the general election in November, I will be the first Latino in the history of Virginia to serve in the Virginia State Legislature. I believe that I could make an important contribution toward bridging this cultural divide in Richmond. I am fully bilingual in English and Spanish, and would be able to engage the 80,000 Latino registered voters who live in Virginia to hear the message of the Democrats and what we want to accomplish in Richmond. I also believe that I could rally this important voting bloc to advocate for legislative priorities important to the Democratic Caucus and the 47th District in Arlington.

I would also utilize the extensive Latino media to rally the Latino voters in Virginia to vote for the Democratic ticket to win the 6 additional seats needed in the House of Delegates to elect a Democrats majority and regain control of the House of Delegates.


Q. How would you describe your political philosophy - progressive, moderate, conservative, or - to paraphrase Jim Webb - "the old political labels no longer apply?"
I am a progressive, especially on social issues, but I can be a fiscal moderate. I believe that there are social challenges that are too great for individuals, partners, or families to overcome, thus requiring government assistance. At the same time, I realize there is a finite quantity of resources available to address these issues. I am concerned about the fees and other funding mechanisms used in legislation that may unfairly burden those at lower income levels, such as retirees and families. I would seek less regressive ways of funding programs and projects.

Q. What is your attitude regarding bipartisanship, aka "reaching across the aisle?" Is this a high priority for you, or are you more interested in pushing hard for what you believe over compromising with conservative Republicans in the House of Delegates?
I believe that much can be accomplished when working in a bipartisan manner, but it is hard to judge real bipartisanship in the current General Assembly. With House Democrats in the minority, it is difficult for Democrats to get legislation passed, and what does go forward must receive Republican approval. In many cases, worthy Democratic bills do not see the light of day because of Republican blockage. I am one who is more than willing to find common ground and attempt to pass legislation that addresses concerns on both sides, but I have not observed such practices in the years of Republican control. For this reason, I believe it is imperative that the Democrats win back control of the House, as well as win the Governor race.

Q. If elected, what would your top three priorities be when you get to Richmond? Why these and not others?
My priorities are based on my passions and what I believe I can do the most good. I also believe they play to my strength. I would work hard to help my colleagues pass equally deserving priorities that they are championing.

The first would be Education. As I have said in answering other questions, I believe that the success of the Commonwealth of Virginia relates to the education of its citizens and residents. I support universal preschool for all children. It was a priority for Governor Kaine and although funding barriers blocked its enactment, a lot of work has been done on its feasibility and I hope to continue this effort. I also want to ensure that No Child Left Behind does not penalize hard-working schools that are making progress, and I want every student to graduate with the ability to go on to higher education or a good job.

Second would be working on Virginia’s Economic Recovery. I believe that the challenges that face this country – industry and manufacturing job losses, environmental destruction, rising energy costs – can be improved by encouraging “green collar” jobs, supporting development of new technologies, and ensuring our community colleges and other institutes of learning to provide training for such technologies.

Lastly, I want to change the tone in Richmond. I want to stop legislative efforts that attack the most vulnerable in our society. I welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues that have generated such legislation and work to build respect and understanding.


Q. What is your position on Dillon Rule , which severely limits the power of local government vis-à-vis the state? Should it be weakened to allow a progressive county like Arlington to move ahead on things like human rights, energy efficiency, environmental protection, and other areas?
I support more flexibility in the Dillon Rule. Local government officials, accountable to the voters, should be able to adopt policies on issues that reflect the values of the community.

Q. What will you do to fix the traffic mess in Northern Virginia? Specifically, what is your stance on "smart growth," extending Metrorail to Dulles airport, and I-66 widening?
Arlington has historically opposed the widening of I-66. To widen the highway would encourage more people to drive on this already congested route and increase the delays. I support that view. I support conducting a comprehensive multi-modal study that would evaluate traffic flow on I-66. I support greater incentives to encourage people to use public transportation and encouraging employers to permit telecommuting and public transit benefits. I fully support the extension of Metro rail to Dulles airport. My intension would be to work hard with the Northern Virginia delegation to find a regional plan that addresses traffic matters, without widening I-66.

I endorse the use of smart growth and would support measures to accomplish such policies. Although Arlington has worked at land use planning to promote smart growth for decades, more is needed for the farther, emerging suburbs, as it affects all communities in Northern Virginia.

We should amend land use planning that keeps sprawl in check, particularly areas not yet developed. Sprawl creates government spending on infrastructure, new schools, emergency services, and so forth. By limiting what can be built on such land, and also requiring the developer to pay for infrastructure costs such as roads, curbs, gutters, as well as contribute to building costs of new schools, in and of itself could limit such sprawl. Planned communities should have a public transportation scheme or strategy that builds in ways to take residents to their work place without adding more traffic (such as commuter buses or trains). Encouraging low-transportation systems such as bike paths helps as well.


Q. What are your beliefs regarding gun control? For instance, do you favor banning so-called "cop killer bullets" and "assault weapons?" What about closing the so-called "gun show loophole?"
I support banning assault weapons and cop-killer bullets. Any gun loopholes that allow weapons to be sold without a full background check and waiting period should be closed. The background check system must be fully integrated to disclose if a person has been referred for mental health treatment due to contact with law enforcement or the courts. I also believe that local jurisdictions should have the right to ban persons, even persons with concealed weapon permits, from bringing guns into public entities such as libraries, recreation centers, restaurants, concert halls, colleges and universities, and so on.

Q. Do you believe that gays and lesbians should have full marriage rights in the Commonwealth of Virginia? If not, why not?
I believe that gays and lesbians should have every right that is afforded to all people in Virginia, including full marriage rights in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Q. Do you support an aggressive move to slash Virginia's power consumption, particularly for fuels that emit carbon dioxide or cause environmental destruction (e.g., mountaintop removal coal mining) in their production? Would you press for "decoupling," "smart metering," and mandatory "renewable portfolio standards" if you get to Richmond?
It is imperative that Virginia develops a serious plan to reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions, particularly with the anticipated federal legislation advocated by the Obama administration and currently under consideration by Congress, which includes a proposal to reduce carbon emissions by 25% by 2025. I will support measures that promote energy efficiency and protect the environment. Such standards will require aggressive action to accomplish. I would support those technologies that do this, such as those highlighted above, but it is important to ensure that such technology are supported by regulations that maximize its benefits. “Decoupling” promises to encourage utilities to be more energy efficient, but I want to make sure that excessive rate increases are not passed along to consumers. I am impressed by the promise of “smart grid” technology (and the smart metering) and I understand that economic stimulus funds were designated for such initiatives. Following initial demonstration projects by Dominion Virginia Power for smart meters, the utility has recently asked the State Corporation Commission for rate increases to make smart meters more widely available. I want to make sure that consumers are not forced to pay higher rates that could be paid for by Federal or corporate funds.

I oppose the methods of mining coal through moutaintop removal, strip mining, or any other system that harms the natural resources, the environment, or the surrounding communities.


Q. On a related note, will you pledge to take no money from Dominion Power or other companies that act in ways that harm workers, the environment, etc?
I would not accept money from any entity whose policies and practices are harmful to Virginians, whether it is, for example, a utility company or the tobacco industry. Also, if a major decision were expected to come before the General Assembly in the coming year, I would not accept contributions from the involved parties (even if they are “good guys”) to avoid any conflict of interest.

Q. Which one issue are you most passionate about and why?
Education. I have written about this in other questions, but I reaffirm that I believe all children deserve to be able to enter school ready to learn with the tools necessary to succeed. Universal preschool should be enacted for all Virginia children. I also believe that students who have successfully graduated from Virginia public high schools and have met other requirements as proposed in the “DREAM” Act, introduced in the U.S. Congress, should have the opportunity to attend a State college or university with in-state tuition.

I know the opportunities that education gives a person. Continuing education throughout one’s adult life is an important component to a successful career and life for today’s students, and Virginia’s education system needs to evolve with the times.


Q. Can you give us a few reasons why people should vote for you instead of your Democratic opponents?
I have extensive experience in community service to Arlington, and my work has helped me understand the values and concerns of those who live here. I bring 20 years of experience from my career at the U.S. Department of Education, and my involvement in politics, from the schoolhouse to the White House, has given me the opportunity to meet and understand the views of many individuals in Arlington County, Northern Virginia, and the Commonwealth.

I have initiated forums to bring people together to discuss and brainstorm on a number of issues: addressing alcohol abuse, providing services to the poor, ensuring equal employment opportunities for county and federal workers, and promoting greater tolerance and understanding of diversity among students. I lead an organization that helps our local police find and convict criminals and another organization that provides community service to Arlington residents.

Lastly, I believe that I can make a difference in the General Assembly as the first Latino member in history elected to the House of Delegates. I want to change the tone in Richmond by working against legislation that seeks to single out and harm certain groups in our community. I want to promote greater understanding and tolerance for diversity in the Commonwealth.