Cuccinelli's Global Warming Denial Views In Tiny Minority

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

So, according to a 2009 study by Yale and George Mason University, Ken Cuccinelli ranks among just 7% of Americans who are "dismissive" of global warming (see Figure 1 and Table 1 below). Within that tiny minority, Cuccinelli's in the 58% who are "very" or "extremely sure global warming is not happening." All of which puts Cooch in about a 3%-4% minority of Americans on this issue (or, to put it another way, 96%-97% of Americans do not agree with Cooch on this one). Even if we're "generous," the most we can say is that there are 18% of Americans - the "doubtful" and "dismissive" of global warming - who share Cooch's views, with the remaining 82% of Americans not sharing his views. Unfortunately, this guy's our Attorney General; how embarrassing.

By the way, this is interesting:
... most of us desiring environmental change anyway -- no matter where we stand on the man-made global warming matter (with one exception).

According to the study: "Majorities in all six groups identified by the survey (on a continuum from "alarmed" to "dismissive") say that developing sources of clean energy should be a priority for President Obama and Congress, and they strongly support more funding for research into renewable energy sources and tax rebates for people who buy energy-efficient vehicles or solar panels.

Further, regulating carbon dioxide as a pollutant, which is currently being considered by the Environmental Protection Agency, is supported by 91 percent of the "alarmed," 93 percent of the "concerned" and even by 52 percent of the "doubtful."
That's right, Ken Cuccinelli's view that we should not regulate greenhouse gas emissions is once again in the small minority, with "five of the six Americas support regulating CO2 as a pollutant." Check out these numbers, and keep in mind that they've actually declined over the past year, as well-funded (mostly by the fossil fuel industries) global warming deniers have spewed out reams of misinformation, disinformation, and outright lies. Also, admittedly, scientists and others in the environmentalist community have not done a great job countering the lies, but it's pretty hard when they can outspend you a zillion to one. Sigh.