Pages

Advertising

1st CD: Stark Contrast in Leadership on "Don't Ask Don't Tell"

Thursday, February 25, 2010


It's hard to imagine a starker contrast than what we see here between Krystal Ball and Scott Robinson on the issue of repealing "Don't Ask Don't Tell." First, here's Krystal with the correct answer, both in terms of substance - repeal this harmful policy - as well as on leadership - stand up for what you believe in, don't have your finger in the wind or outsource your judgment to other people.
I have been pretty vocal about the fact that I support full equality for the LGBT community. It may not be a very politically popular issue, but I wouldn't run if I didn't think I could stand up for the values I believe in. And, as part of that, I think it's absolutely something that needs to be repealed, particularly now that Admiral Mike Mullen has come out - the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - and said "this is a policy that doesn't make sense, it's not in our nation's best interest and we need to get rid of it."
Now, here's Scott Robinson with the wrong answer, both in terms of substance and also in terms of leadership.
I, too, have the president's position. I'm gonna wait until the study is conducted, and I'm I gonna support whatever the study is. I trust the chairman and I trust the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and whenever that study comes back, I'm going to support [it].
As Marc points out at "Leaving My Marc", "If there is one thing I have learned is that people, rightly or wrongly, support leaders that are principled and wiling to take stands on difficult issues." On this issue, repealing "Don't Ask Don't Tell" is the right thing to do on every level - pragmatic, moral, and even political, as 75% of Americans support gay people serving in the military. Which is why there's certainly no need for a politician - let alone a Democrat - to be waiting for a commission's report to decide his or her stance on the issue. If Tom Perriello has proved one thing over the past 2 years, it's that standing up for your convictions can be the right thing to do AND a winner politically. That's why I strongly support Tom, and that's also why I strongly support Krystal. Let's help elect both of them in 2010!