Pages

Advertising

Terry McAuliffe's Concession Speech: "Creigh Deeds Will"

Wednesday, June 10, 2009


A classy speech, urging all of us to support our nominee Creigh Deeds against Bob McDonnell. That's exactly what I'm going to do.
Tonight, the McAuliffe campaign released the following remarks as prepared for delivery:

Thank you all so much.

Well, it may not have turned out how we hoped, but it sure has been quite the ride.

About six months ago, I entered the race for Governor because I love this commonwealth. My wife Dorothy and I made the decision 17 years ago to make Virginia our home because this is where we wanted to raise our family.

And as I criss-crossed Virginia over the past six months, my love for this Commonwealth has only grown.

I've met so many Virginians of all walks of life who are anxious about our economy, struggling to get by. But their determination and optimism hasn't waned. They're ready to tackle the challenges ahead.

That's why I got in this race. To help Virginians. And I'm so proud of all we've accomplished on this campaign.

I learned one big thing over the past couple of years, and during my time as head of the Democratic Party: Tough, hard competition between Democrats only makes us stronger.

Creigh, Brian, we may have argued about who would carry the flag, but we agreed on the goals. We agreed on the values of the Democratic Party. We agreed on the stakes this fall.

We agreed that we need to carry on in the tradition of Mark Warner and Tim Kaine to keep Virginia moving in the right direction.

Brian Moran has been a tremendous public servant as a prosecutor and legislator, and I know his days of public service to this great Commonwealth are far from over.

A few minutes ago, I called Creigh Deeds and congratulated him on becoming the Democratic nominee for Governor. And I told him something that I know everyone in this room agrees with.

That he MUST be the next Governor of Virginia, and that I will do everything possible to help make sure he IS the next Governor of Virginia!

Virginia needs Creigh Deeds.


Too many people are struggling today. Unemployment is ravaging too many of our communities. Parents are struggling to send their children to college.

We need a governor who is committed to getting our economy back on track and creating jobs. A governor who understands that we need to invest in the jobs of the future - green jobs, alternative energy jobs. Bob McDonnell will not create those jobs. Creigh Deeds will.

A governor who understands that we need to bring people together if we're ever going to come up with a solution to our statewide transportation mess. Bob McDonnell will not find that solution. Creigh Deeds will.

We need a governor who has been a partner of Mark Warner and Tim Kaine's so that he can build upon their great work. Bob McDonnell will not continue that legacy. Creigh Deeds will.

And, as I said repeatedly throughout this campaign, Barack Obama needs a partner in Richmond. Bob McDonnell will not be that partner. Creigh Deeds will.

Bob McDonnell has proven time and again that he is more interested in promoting a partisan ideological agenda than he is in working with people to get results. He voted against Mark Warner's budget reform. He worked against Tim Kaine's transportation reform. He helped block $125 million in federal stimulus money - your taxpayer money that is now going to other states. His energy plan can be summed up in three words - drill baby drill.

We've seen this approach before. It was called the Gilmore Administration. And I, for one, DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK.

Creigh Deeds wants to keep Virginia moving forward. He understands Virginia. He's the kind of leader who as a prosecutor, kept his community safe. Who as a legislator has taken on the tough fights while bringing people together to get results. He's been a key partner for Mark Warner and Tim Kaine. And now, he's ready to lead us through the tough times ahead.

But Creigh can't do it alone. That's why we need to do everything we can to make sure that (Jody Wagner/Mike Signer) is the next Lt. Governor, and Steve Shannon is the next Attorney General of Virginia!

This is the ticket that will keep Virginia moving in the right direction.

This is the ticket that will carry on the traditions of Mark Warner and Tim Kaine.

This is the ticket that will get our economy moving again.

And they're going to do it with all of our help!

Finally, let me thank a few people who have been such an inspiration to me throughout this campaign.

Let me begin with the loves of my life - my wife Dorothy who has been by my side for over 20 years, and my five beautiful children Dori, Jack, Mary, Sally and Peter. They've put up with a lot over the years, and they are the reason I got into this race. Thank you for being my inspiration and my support.

Next, I want to thank my campaign manager Mike Henry, and the outstanding campaign staff that worked so hard over the past five months. You know, I believe that so many of life's experiences are defined by the people that you surround yourself with. And, let me say this - this campaign team made this the experience of a lifetime. You've been some of the most dedicated campaign workers I've ever seen. We may have come up short in terms of votes, but you made me a better candidate, and more importantly, you helped make the Democratic party even stronger going into the fall. And for that, I'll forever be grateful.

Finally, let me thank the 6,000 volunteers and tens of thousands of people who put in the long hours, made the calls, knocked on doors, and entrusted me with their vote. I am humbled by your support and faith in me. I now ask you to help me finish what we started, and put the same kind of blood, sweat and tears into a victory in November for Creigh Deeds, Jody Wagner/Mike Signer, and Steve Shannon.

They're going to lead us to victory in November, and together, we'll make sure that Virginia's best days are ahead of her.


Thank you, and God bless you all.