Pages

Advertising

Perriello: "I can deal with losing reelection. I can’t deal with being a coward."

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This is exactly why I love Tom Perriello and wish there were more like him in the U.S. Congress.
Perriello, who knocked off Rep. Virgil Goode in Virginia’s heavily rural 5th District, is unapologetic about his vote and portrays it as a vote to wean America off foreign oil.

“If I have to choose between national security and reelection, for me that’s easy. It’s national security,” he told POLITICO. “I can deal with losing reelection. I can’t deal with being a coward.”

He added: “I was not one of the fence-sitters.”
On that last point, by the way, I'm glad to hear Perriello clear up any misinformation out there regarding his stance on the Waxman/Markey climate change and clean energy bill. For instance, this is simply untrue. The fact is, Tom Perriello always intended to vote for this bill because he thought it was important, historic, crucial, etc. He also tried to convince a lot of his freshmen classmates for the same reason. The bottom line here is that Tom Perriello stands on conviction and does NOT switch his vote or misrepresent his voting intentions for political reasons.