Pages

Advertising

"Payday Lenders Target Terry"

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I think it's fair to say that politicians are defined by the stances they take, but also by their friends and their enemies. Well, if I were a Virginia Democratic politician, one enemy I definitely would want to have is the payday lenders (right behind Dominion Virginia Power; I'd want them to hate my guts!). With that in mind, check this out:
Payday Pundit, a blog of the national trade group for payday lenders, has a post on its Web site urging readers to contact Democrat Terry McAuliffe's gubernatorial campaign about his criticisms of the industry.

McAuliffe has said he will work to ban payday lenders from Virginia, which began regulating the industry earlier this decade.
As McAuliffe senior strategist Mo Elleithee says, "'it's not a surprise that they're singling [Terry] out' because of his stance on banning predatory lenders." Meanwhile, I find it interesting who they are not singling out for criticism. To paraphrase George Allen, "You can tell a lot about someone by those they do not keep company with."