Pages

Advertising

Why McAuliffe?

Sunday, March 15, 2009

McAuliffe's won me over. I don’t want a job with his campaign or his administration. I have never taken a penny from any candidate I have supported. I want what is best for my family and Virginia. I have concluded that Terry is the man for this time.

Terry McAuliffe moves in different parts of the progressive sphere than I. But ours intersect enough in the survival interest arena, that the areas where we disagree are overshadowed. I looked hard for a deal-breaking position. My first nudge was when I discovered that John Grisham supports Terry. Yes, influenced by a non-politician’s judgment. But meeting Dorothy McAuliffe was so telling by inference about the character of her husband, that apprehensions in that facet of the candidate were immediately wiped clean. And, though to now he has had reason to blow me off, he never has in passing. He’s a big man.

Here is something else. People who made it difficult to support Webb and Obama; members of the local Democratic establishment who have seen grassroots supporters not of their mien as interlopers and who have consistently angled for position with candidates they believe will feather their nests are the ones most threatened by this outsider. And by outsider, I mean a Virginian who has not cut deals with the establishment. And some of those deals are so patently patronizing as to indicate misanthropy. So if they are diminished by this candidacy, bring it on. But trust me when I tell you, some are already reaching out to cover their bets. There’s your principled groundswell; not surprising, just disappointing.

To be clear, I find nothing objectionable about being paid to work for any candidate in whom one really believes. I won’t just so I can walk away when I find a reason. Someone has to do these jobs and hiring a non-union, Republican business is not an acceptable alternative. A candidate should recognize talent and reward loyalty. I do, however, find wasting contributors’ money for support that should be the result of loyalty and mutual interest unethical on both parts no matter the rationalization.

For going on three years, I fully anticipated supporting either Brian Moran or Senator Deeds. I found them refreshing and the prospect of making the choice between them unpleasant. They have been wonderful for the party. I will support whomever is the Democratic nominee. However, I believe that Terry McAuliffe can best carry the case for Virginia. By the way, he has a plan that looks to be actionable. We will benefit from this fellow who doesn’t know how to take no for an answer.

Cross posted at Blue Commonwealth