Pages

Advertising

McLean Loves Margi

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Green Miles spent his Saturday morning canvassing in McLean for Del. Margi Vanderhye. Some notes:
  • Great turnout with dozens of volunteers, including many Virginia Young Democrats arriving at 10am to go knock on doors. I hear they'll be supporting Robin Abbott and John Bell in coming weekends.
  • Kip Malinosky and I each knocked on about 45 doors and both found incredibly strong support. Each of us found 15-20 Margi voters -- amazing considering fewer than half the homes had anyone home. I even talked to one woman who hadn't voted for Margi two years ago but said Margi's performance in the House of Delegates had earned her vote this time around.
  • The big names of extreme conservatism raising money for Margi's opponent have fired up Margi's base. If I knocked on someone's door and they tried to wave me off with a, "Don't worry, I'm voting for Margi," I'd come back with, "Karl Rove, Sean Hannity and Mitt Romney are campaigning for Barbara Comstock. Margi needs your help." In no time I'd have them signed up for a yard sign and interested in Margi's next fundraiser.
  • Margi is going all-out to run an exemplary green campaign. Her yard signs are printed on recycled material via DemSign.com -- the only recycled candidate signs I've seen in the general election cycle. Our canvass packets were printed on re-used paper. And Margi has signs up at major intersections that are actually wind power generators -- I'll get a pic up as soon as the campaign emails it over.
  • As NLS reported, a Steve Shannon organizer came without lit or stickers. Considering I'm still finding my own campaign lit tucked into the far reaches of my car, I can't explain this one.
All in all, a very encouraging day for the Vanderhye campaign. Arlington residents will get a chance to pitch in on Monday night as ACDC hosts a phone bank for Margi. And if you haven't already, please take a moment to give what you can - $50, $25, even $10 - to Margi's campaign.