Pages

Advertising

Closing Arguments For My Candidates

Sunday, June 7, 2009

I have endorsed several candidates this cycle, and thought it might be helpful to recap my arguments for each. Here goes.

Governor: Terry McAuliffe
In September 2008, I had the opportunity to sit down with Terry McAuliffe and ask him every question I could think of. Having gone into the meeting highly skeptical (largely based on what I'd read about Terry on the national blogs since I started reading them regularly in 2003), I emerged highly enthusiastic about Terry not only as an engaging, smart, determined, focused, positive person, but also as a surprisingly strong pragmatic progressive with a working-class, populist streak. I also emerged with the confidence that if Terry McAuliffe is selected by voters as the Democratic nominee for governor, he will run a strong race not only for himself, but also for Democratic candidates all around the Commonwealth. In fact, Terry declared, he planned on running a coordinated campaign "the likes of which Virginia has never seen before." That encouraged me greatly, since - as we all know (and as I have observed since founding Raising Kaine in January 2005) - without control of the State Senate and House of Delegates, a Democratic governor can be stymied at almost every turn. We also have the urgent matter of redistricting in 2011 to consider. As a consequence, it is crucial we keep control of the governor's mansion this November, and I left that September meeting with the strong belief that Terry McAuliffe is the person most likely to accomplish that goal.

Since September, I have watched as Terry McAuliffe has run a positive campaign on the issues that matter to progressives - energy and the environment, transportation, education, and of course the economy. I've also watched as Terry has been endorsed by the League of Conservation Voters, labor unions of all kinds, African American ministers and newspapers, hundreds of grassroots activists, leading Virginia progressive bloggers (e.g., Josh Chernila, "Kathy in Blacksburg," Ben Tribbett, Lee Diamond, "Hokie Guru"), and the heads of both the Democratic Governors Association and the National Governors Association. I've seen a man focused relentlessly on the importance of creating jobs and growing the economy, with an understanding that you can't have that strong economy without the high quality of life which helps attract individuals and businesses to Virginia. That means ensuring investing in education and emerging industries like "clean tech." It means maintaining (and improving) the level of infrastructure and services in our Commonwealth. And it means bringing people together to achieve results for all of us, not just for the rich and powerful. I have confidence that Terry McAuliffe is the best person to accomplish all of those things.

Finally, I believe that it's time for a governor who's not been part of "Richmond" most of their adult lives. I believe it's time for positive change (in tone and content) in Virginia's capital, and in my opinion, Terry McAuliffe can deliver that change. You might be thinking, "what, Terry McAuliffe as a CHANGE AGENT?" I agree, that appears counterintuitive at first glance, but I've closely watched Terry (and Brian and Creigh) for months now, and have concluded that it makes a great deal of sense. For instance, consider that Terry McAuliffe is wealthy enough that he not only can, he actually HAS, refused campaign contributions from Dominion Power (as long as Dominion opposes Terry's proposed mandatory, 25% Renewable Portfolio Standard). Not being reliant on or beholden to powerful corporate interests? Now that's the kind of change I can believe in! :)

Lieutenant Governor: Mike Signer
Mike Signer has the passion, the energy, the integrity, the vision, and the progressive values (on the environment, voting rights, and much more) to make a superb Lieutenant Governor for all Virginians. Just as importantly, I also believe that Mike as Lieutenant Governor will help bring about much-needed change in Richmond (I'm looking at you, corporate lobbyists!) while building on the successes of Mark Warner and Tim Kaine the past 7 1/2 years. Mike's campaign has focused on turning the LG job into a public advocate position, which I think is exactly the right approach. Finally, I believe that Mike Signer can effectively and forcefully articulate Democratic values in the debate with Bill Bolling over where to lead Virginia. That's a debate that I'm very much looking forward to seeing! :)

35th House of Delegates District: Mark Keam
A few weeks ago, I had a chance to sit down with Mark Keam for several hours. During our conversation, I grilled him on energy and environmental issues in particular, since those are the two issues about which I feel most passionately. He "passed" with flying colors as someone who truly understands what needs to be done in these areas. We also talked about several other issues - labor, education, transportation, good government, etc. - and he was excellent on all those as well. More broadly, I agree with my friend Eric Byler about "Mark Keam's progressive values and his dedication to Democratic causes." I agree with my friend "kindler" that Mark Keam " is one of the most thoughtful candidates that I've seen." I agree with my friend Annabel Park that Keam "is a truly exceptional person" who is "very intelligent and knowledgeable about the issues and the political process" and clearly "cares about people." In short, I think that Mark Keam will be an effective, pragmatic, progressive delegate in Richmond. That's something I think I can deal with! :)

38th House of Delegates District: Kaye Kory
First, Kaye and her campaign have been highly responsive to the netroots, including getting back to me on my blog questionnaire within a couple of days. In response to the first question I asked her, she responded, "We need a delegate who will be proactive, problem solving, results oriented, responsive to her constituents, and committed to working with other Democrats to make change the 38th district can be proud of." I couldn't agree more.

Second, Kaye has an excellent record on the school board, including leading the fight to rebuild Glasgow Middle School as a "green" school, with solar panels for hot water; motion sensor, high efficiency fluorescent lighting; low flow fixtures for faucets, toilets, urinals and shower heads; etc.

Third, Kaye has an impressive background, having served as a VISTA volunteer, as a counselor for troubled youth at "Runaway House" in the District, and much more.

Fourth, on the issues, there are a few significant differences between Kaye Kory and Bob Hull. Kaye is a proponent of creating a partnership with local leaders and officials to tackle important district issues like transportation and the budget, while Bob says "there is nothing inherently wrong with the Dillon Rule." Kaye has a detailed, pro-environment agenda, while Bob has a 68% rating from the League of Conservation Voters from 2000 to 2008 (if you go back further, it gets worse). Kaye has pledged not to take money from Dominion Power, while Bob has taken $8,500 since 2000.

In general, it's time for new, energetic, progressive leadership from the 38th House of Delegates district. In short, it's time for Kaye Kory.

47th House of Delegates District: Miles Grant
As I wrote back in December 2008 when RK endorsed Miles, I believe that my friend and fellow netroots activist would make an excellent delegate for the 47th district. This district is about as blue as they come, which in my mind means that we should be sending strong progressives to Richmond with energy and a willingness to fight for the environment, human rights, and other important values we care about. Having worked with Miles the past couple of years, I can definitely say that he has that fighting spirit, energy, and can-do attitude. When Miles gets to Richmond, one thing's for sure - he won't be a shrinking violet.

From Miles' website, here's a bit about his background that I think you'll find impressive:
In addition to his time as [Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment] chair, Miles has served as chair of Arlington Community Role Models and community service director of Arlington Young Democrats. He's been recognized for his volunteer work with a 2007 James B. Hunter Arlington Community Hero Award and a 2007 Arlington County Outstanding Volunteer Award. Under his chairmanship, CRM was recognized by the National Association of Counties with a 2008 Acts of Caring Award.
Finally, I've been highly impressed with the grassroots campaign Miles has run the past few months. I've been to numerous debates, at which Miles has been the most articulate candidate for progressive values - community engagement and civic activism; civil liberties for all Virginians; clean energy and climate action. Miles is the only candidate in the 47th District to formally pledge not to take a penny from Dominion Power. Miles has been endorsed by the Sierra Club and the Virginia Partisans Gay and Lesbian Club. And Miles has energized Arlington grassroots activists, young and old, in support of his candidacy. That's the type of energy Miles will bring to Richmond. I can't wait! :)