Pages

Advertising

Mike Signer for Lieutenant Governor

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Yesterday, after watching Mike Signer give a great speech to the 8th Congressional District Democratic convention, I wrote the following:
...Mike Signer has really hit his stride now that the LG race is down to two candidates. I respect and like Jody Wagner, but Mike Signer is truly inspiring my progressive heart and soul. Also, now that my former employer (and friend) Jon Bowerbank is out of the race, I feel no ethical obligation to stay out of the LG race. Finally, I'm concluding that Signer would match up the strongest against Bill Bolling in the general election, although certainly Wagner brings strengths as well. Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm leaning heavily towards publicly endorsing Mike Signer. Just curious, does anyone have any good reason(s) why I shouldn't?
Since I wrote that, not only has nobody given me "any good reason(s) why I shouldn't," but several people who I respect greatly have reinforced to me why I should. So, with no further ado, I want to formally, publicly endorse Mike Signer for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia.

My rationale is simple: Mike Signer has the passion, the energy, the integrity, the vision, and the progressive values (on the environment, voting rights, and much more) to make a superb Lieutenant Governor for all Virginians. Just as importantly, I also believe that Mike as Lieutenant Governor will help bring about much-needed change in Richmond (I'm looking at you, corporate lobbyists!) while building on the successes of Mark Warner and Tim Kaine the past 7 1/2 years. Finally, I believe that Mike Signer can effectively and forcefully articulate Democratic values in the debate with Bill Bolling over where to lead Virginia. That's a debate that I'm very much looking forward to seeing! :)