Pages

Advertising

Exclusive Blue Virginia Interview: Scott Robinson (D-1st CD)

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The other day, I sent out questionnaires to both Democratic Congressional candidates - Krystal Ball and Scott Robinson - in the 1st Congressional District (currently misrepresented by Rob Wittman) Here are Scott Robinson's Q&A's; Krystal Ball's are here. After this, having spoken in person with both candidates, I will consider making an endorsement in this race. In the meantime, thanks very much to Scott Robinson for his thorough responses to my questions!

1. Tell us a bit about yourself, and specifically, what made you decide to run for Congress at this time?
I grew up in Heathsville, the county seat of Northumberland County. It was a place where I was taught that any person who was willing to sacrifice, accept responsibility and work hard can succeed in this country. As a kid, I pulled pound nets in the morning and crab pots in the afternoon to make money. During high school, I played football, basketball and baseball. After graduating in 1979, I attended Catawba College in Salisbury, North Carolina where I majored in chemistry and played baseball.

While at Catawba College I joined Reserve Officer Training Corps, and received my commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army upon graduation. I also met my wife, Sandy Wilson while attending Catawba College and we have been married for over 25 years.

For twenty-five years, I helped protect my country around the world and retired with the rank of Colonel. My years of service reaffirmed in me that hard work and accountability lead to achievement. My final assignment was at the Pentagon as a senior military advisor in the Office of the Secretary of Defense. In that role, I interacted with officials of other Executive branch agencies as well as congressional leaders to manage policy development regarding weapons of mass destruction. I officially retired in July 2009.

I have spent my adult life in service and when I started thinking about other opportunities after my retirement I discovered I couldn’t see my life without service. The next logical and emotional step was to continue serving my country in Congress.

Over the next year, we will return hard work and accountability to the forefront of the American political system. We all know that whether you are leading families, firms, or formations, hard work and accountability matter. These lessons matter when working on a boat, serving in the military, and especially in the halls of Congress.

I am running for Congress because our nation is going through some tough times and we need leaders who have real world experience and a results-oriented focus to address the issues facing this country. From my years of service, I know what the problems are and I have a proven track record of achieving results.

2 What three issues are you most passionate about and why? Economic development, the National Debt, and Veterans.
The 1'st Congressional District currently lacks the technology and leadership to attract the jobs of the 21'st Century. People I grew up with and I meet everyday are hurting. They are hurting for leadership.

I am deeply concerned about the National Debt. The Government Accounting Office (GAO) projects that by 2019 the U.S. national debt will be 18.4 trillion dollars or 148% of GDP. This is no way to run a government. We are betraying both our children and our morals. Our party did not create this problem, but it is ours to solve.

Our Veterans wrote a check to the United States Government for an amount up to and including their lives. We owe a debt to those who have faithfully served in our armed forces. We need an advocate for them in Congress. When I am in Congress not only will they have an advocate, the American Veteran will have a leader they can count on.

3 How would you describe yourself ideologically – “progressive,” “conservative,” “moderate,” “liberal,” or something else?
I am not comfortable with labels because they are too restrictive. The beauty of
the Democratic Party is that we are big tent party, and we believe that in diversity there is strength. I believe that the role of government is to help people if and when they are powerless to help themselves. A large part of the problem that Americans have had with their government over the past decade is the over reliance on labels and ideology instead of pragmatic results. President Obama realized this and ran a campaign that was about getting government working to help people again. My focus will be making life better for the average American, and getting our government to work efficiently.

4. Who is your favorite Virginia politician and why?
Jim Webb for his honorable service to our nation and Mark Warner for his fiscal responsibility.

5. Arguably, the biggest debate politically this year in the United States has been over health reform. If you were in Congress right now, how would you vote on: a) a robust public option; b) allowing public funds to be used to provide abortion coverage; c) allowing undocumented immigrants to buy health insurance (with their own money) on the proposed insurance “exchanges;” and d) a surcharge on wealthy Americans in order to pay for this bill?
My position follows the President’s position - I support a health care plan that ensures that all Americans have access to quality, affordable health care that is there when they need it and does so without adding a dime to the deficit. B) No C) No D) Yes.

6. With regard to another top issue – energy and the environment - if you were in Congress right now, how would you vote on: a) a revenue-neutral carbon tax; b) a strong cap-and-trade bill; c) aggressive mandatory renewable energy standards; d) sharply increasing energy efficiency standards for vehicles, appliances, etc.; e) oil
drilling off Virginia’s coast or other environmentally sensitive areas (e.g., ANWR); and f) mountaintop removal coal mining.

I support proposed bipartisan legislation such as Kerry-Graham climate change bill.\ A)Yes B) No C)Yes D)Yes E)No F) No./ /

7. In 2006, Jim Webb talked about America dividing into “three pieces,” with the “rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer, and the middle class getting squeezed.” If you are elected to Congress, what will you do about this situation? The main focus of my campaign is to bring economic development (jobs) to the First Congressional District. The first step is to bring technology throughout the district for the purpose of creating a “Venture Triangle” between Richmond, Norfolk and the DC suburbs. The first missing link is broadband. I will work to forge partnerships between the federal government and the private sector, make this a long term priority, and fight for permanent funding for broadband deployment.

8. Education is crucial to our nation’s future, yet there are indications we are falling further and further behind to rising nations like China and India every year that goes by. What would you do to reverse this trend and ensure that America remains the best educated nation in the world? I have traveled to India and China and I have met students from both countries, as part of a government delegation representing the U.S. In those countries, I met students who spoke fluent English and were enthusiastic about their studies. I would support ideas that include lengthening the school year, lengthening the school day, fully funding Pre-Kindergarten programs, adding more JROTC and vocational programs to our high schools and increasing funding for the Troops to Teachers program.

9. On GLBT issues, where do you stand on: 1) repealing the policy “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell,” 2) allowing gays and lesbians to marry; 3) “hate crimes” legislation?
I support the current policy as recommended by Joint Chiefs of Staff. I support President Obama’s position on marriage while respecting the rights of states’ to come to their own conclusion. I support the Matthew Shepard Hate Crime Legislation.

10. Finally, given that you have a Democratic opponent, why should voters – whether in a primary or a convention – support you as opposed to the other Democrat in the race?
Since we began our campaign we have traveled throughout the district supporting Democratic candidates at all levels. Change starts from the ground up. My campaign has been focused on growing a grassroots organization needed to ensure Democratic victories in 2010 and beyond.

People across the district are responding to this strategy with their time, check books and voices. I have only been running for a few months, but the campaign has received 26 endorsements from Democratic leaders and elected officials throughout the district. Most of my donors come from the district and the surrounding counties. Most of my time is spent in the district building the network needed to ensure victory.

Glitzy events and national interviews are great, but nothing can replace a strong grassroots organization that is based locally. President Obama knew this. Senator Warner knew this. Congressman Perriello knew this. The netroots know this. It will take real work and a different kind of campaign, but we need to implement these strategies on the ground to turn the First Congressional District from red to blue. That is why I am here.