Pages

Advertising

Deeds-McDonnell Debate Live Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009



10:50am: MoElleitheeDebate starting. Chair of Fairfax Chamber taking the podium to welcome the audience.

10:50 am: notlarrysabato@hambypcnn They said there was a TV in the press room. Bob Lewis from AP was livid and really let them have it. Expect a story from him.

10:53 am: Moderators being introduced. David Gregory moderating.

10:58 AM: David Gregory says, "This is quite a race." "Debates are about substance...also an element of theater." Relates story of Al Gore sighing during debate. Laying down groundrules.

11:02 AM: Creigh Deeds takes the stage followed by Bob McDonnell. Opening statement by Bob McDonnell. Mentions that he grew up in Fairfax County. "We have tough economic times now, they demand strong leadership." "We have challenges that need to be addressed here in Virginia." Says he's laid out detailed plans. Tax credits. More money in classroom. Comprehensive energy policy. "I'm the only candidate who actually has a transportation plan." My opponent has run backwards looking, negative campaign, focused on social issues (which he said he wouldn't). His ads are ludicrous, disingenous and deceitful. My opponent's the "biggest spender in General Assembly," voted for billions in tax increases. I'm endorsed by small business. My opponent is being bankrolled by labor unions. I oppose cap and trade, card check, unfunded mandates, my opponent is for it. I'll move this state forward. Creigh voted for 98% of my bills.

11:05: Creigh's statement. Bring opportunity to every corner of Virginia. Bipartisanship, common sense. Look at our records, "the differences between us are stark." I stood with Mark Warner, "my opponent opposed us every step of the way." Think of where we'd be if his reckless philosophy had prevailed. My opponent voted three times to defund governor's opportunity fund. I've got long record of standing up for public education. My opponent has long record of voting against public education. He's been focused on a social agenda, narrow band of social issues, never wrote a bill to create a job. I'm the most prepared candidate to be governor, I've got a record of getting things done on a bipartisan basis.

11:08: Question by David Gregory on "the thesis," "working women detrimental to family," etc. What has changed about your thinking?

McDonnell: Nobody had even read that thesis, now it's all my opponent wants to talk about. Families are bedrock of society. Incredible contributions women have made to workforce. Half of my staff was female. My campaign manager in 2005 was a working woman. My wife and daughters are here. Daughter Jeanine served in Iraq, she's the ultimate working woman. We will promote people based on merit and ability.

Deeds: My grandmothers both worked, mother, wife and daughters work. I didn't write that working women were a detriment to the family. I didn't write that state should be involved in contraceptive decisions for married adults. He voted to futher his thesis as a legislator. We didn't know about thesis in 2005 but we know it now. Thesis says you shouldn't tell people what you really believe because they're not ready for these right-wing social issues.

McDonnell: Support federal law that women should be paid the same as men. I support equal pay for women. My opponent voted for 98% of the bills I introduced as Attorney General. Bipartisan solutions, what I'll do as governor.

Question from Bruce DuPuyt on transportation.

Deeds: Statewide transportation plan is quickest way to create jobs in Virginia. I'll get a plan passed next year. Bob and I have different approaches, mine will work. Several broad aspects to my plan - statewide, long term, dedicated funding. My opponent will take $540 million a year out of general fund, most of which will come out of education. I will not rob Peter to pay Paul. That's off the table for me. I can bring people together.

McDonnell: We've got to act. I'm shocked that with 47 days to go, my opponent has no transportation plan. Transportation is core function of government. I've got a plan that won't raise taxes. My opponent's only plan is to raise taxes. He knows it's not true that I'll take money from education. His plans come from general fund too. You voted for cuts to education.

Deeds: My transportation plan is on my website. The reason this problem is so urgent is we're going to run out of federal match, we have to act now, can't play games anymore. "I think I've laid out specifics." "Every funding mechanism is on the table." McDonnell's proposals have been disavowed by Democrats, Republicans, newspapers all over the state (e.g., selling off ABC stores). His plan would cut mental health services.

McDonnell: He's just flat wrong. Gov. Wilder recommended this. Talk to Doug Wilder and he'll explain it to you.

Question from Elizabeth Brachman on energy efficiency, environmental mandates on businesses.

McDonnell: No unfunded mandates. I don't support federal mandates either (as my opponent does). Do things to improve environment without killing jobs. I've got comprehensive energy plan. Coal, natural gas, nuclear, offshore drilling. Green energy research. Green jobs tax free zone like Gov. Pawlenty did in Minnesota. Wind, solar, biomass opportunities using world-class universities. Promote new technologies.

Deeds: I don't favor mandates. We can become more energy efficient. Incentivize right behavior through tax credits. Energy independence is a matter of national and economic security. Clean coal. Drill off coast if we can protect environment, fisheries, tourism, military operations. We can't get royalties under federal law even if drilling is allowed. Energy technology is the next economy. Energy based research triangle. We can be a leader in this area.

McDonnell: Creigh wouldn't sign letter to Sec. Interior on offshore drilling, he refused. We'll get royalties here too. Big difference - he supports cap and trade, I oppose it.

Question from Bryan Nehman on Guantanamo Bay detainees.

Deeds: I don't support cap and trade bill that came out of House of Representatives. I'm not going to support a bill that's going to take jobs, increase energy costs. We need to address climate change. On Guantanamo Bay, we're part of the United States of America. I would encourage president to find somewhere besides Virginia to house those prisoners, but we can't thumb our nose...

McDonnell: You won't take a stand on cap and trade. On Gitmo, I took a stand. If there's another state that wants to house those prisoners, they ought to have it. I will take a stand against those prisoners coming here, too many security concerns. Federal government is doing a lot of things that are hurting you. If they're wrong, I'll take a stand and do what's right for Virginia.

Deeds: I don't know if Gitmo detainees pose a particular threat. On cap and trade, it's a 1,500-page bill...we can't tolerate putting Americans out of business. "I don't support the bill," but McD is spending a lot of money lying to people and telling them I do.

Question from David Gregory on health insurance reform.

McDonnell: This is a tough issue. Need to expand access, reduce costs. But we've got greatest medical care system in world. Turning that over to federal government is absolutely the wrong direction. Find more ways to let businesspeople purchase insurance for their employees. Allow purchase of insurance across state lines. More pooling. Focus more on prevention. I won't recommend 3-fold increase in medical malpractice cap.

Deeds: He voted the same way I did on medical malpractice. Federal stimulus dollars let us balance our budget. I share the president's goals - reduce costs, expand coverage, individual mandate makes sense. Three big challenges in health care besides Medicaid. Keep people with insurance insured. 1.1 million Virginians without insurance, get them insured. Provide more healthcare professional to underserved regions.

McDonnell: Medicare and Medicaid aren't exactly in great shape. Baucus bill introduced bill without public option.

DuPuyt question for Deeds on gun show loophole, gun policies, Bloomberg.

Deeds: I don't know if he's right or not. I don't live in NY, I live in VA. I'm a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Virginia Tech massacre changed a lot of things for a lot of people. The loss of a child is such a traumatic event. I crafted compromise legislation to close gunshow loophole, got it out of committee for first time.

McDonnell: Virginia Tech tragedy was terrible day for Virginia. I worked to get executive order closing real loophole, mental health loophole, we fixed that. I don't support regulation of private sales of firearms. I'm off Mayor Bloomberg's Christmas card list. I'm a strong supporter of 2nd amendment, 10th amendment, all the Bill of Rights. Support individual right to bear arms.

Deeds: I have long record on 2nd amendment that's crystal clear. It will take someone like me to bring people together and close gun show loophole.

Question from Elizabeth Brachman on regional tax revenues.

McDonnell: NOVA is economic engine of state. I remember growing up here before Beltway was built. I'm strong supporter of Dillon rule so we don't have patchwork of rules all over state. I know that NOVA is a donor region to the state, doesn't get treated very well. Part of my plan is to let you keep part of money that is raised here.

Deeds: Interesting, when I go to Hampton Roads I see "Hampton Roads' Own Bob McDonnell," when I got to NOVA, I see "NOVA's Own Bob McDonnell." People of NOVA have produced unprecedented prosperity, we want to encourage that to continue because we all benefit. That's why we have to have an honest discussion about transportation. Every part of state needs to receive a return on their investment. Some of our rules are antiquated. We need to think forward.

McDonnell: I lived in Mt. Vernon, my wife's from McLean. I understand technology corridor. What won't help NOVA is your tax increase plan.

Question from Bryan Nehman on illegal immigration. Mention of Prince William County.

Deeds: People who are here should be here legally. This is a federal government responsibility per the constitution. How can we afford to pay for what the federal government has failed to do. We need comprehensive immigration reform at federal level. I don't support hysteria over immigration. We are all sons and daughters of immigrants. We need to be a welcoming society. We are better because we are more diverse. NOVA is where the fabric is richest, we need to promote that kind of culture. Work with federal government to enforce the law, don't use state and local resources on this.

McDonnell: Promote more lawful immigration, it's a strength to this country. We ought to welcome people willing to play by the rules and contribute. Federal government has to allow more lawful immigration based on economic needs. People who come here illegally and commit crimes should be detained and deported. Local officials should be able to assists federal authorities on this. That's a correct function of government.

Deeds: This gets a lot of publicity, but it's primarily a federal issue. We need to focus on rebuilding economy of Virginia, that's why I have a business plan. We have to be about creating jobs in every corner of Virginia. This [immigration] issue takes too much energy out of the debate.

Question from David Gregory on Mark Warner's tax package.

McDonnell: That was the largest tax increase in Virginia history. I want to do things better. Set priorities. My opponent is always looking for new revenues. We're in tough economic time, you don't tax your way to prosperity, you incentivize private sector. The secret of Virginia's success is keeping taxes low, strong right to work laws, strong universities. Fundamental difference with my opponent who wants to find more ways to tax people of Virginia.

Deeds: So much to say, so little time. A theme is developing. He voted against funding the opportunity fund, now it's centerpiece of his campaign. His ideas now are things I've worked on through the years. In 2004, our AAA bond rating was at risk for the first time ever (in 71 years). It took guts to do what we (Mark Warner, John Chichester and I) did. Bob McDonnell stood against us every step of the way. "No, I'm not gonna raise taxes." I will sign a transportation plan that raises new money as long as it's dedicated to transportation, as long as it's long-term in scope, statewide in perspective.

McDonnell: "I will not raise taxes." What we can't do is to undermine our right to work laws. Sen. Deeds is both for and against collective bargaining. I'm standing with small business, he has an "F" rating. Business is with me, unions with him.

Bruce DuPuyt question on gay adoption.

Deeds: The best interest of the child is what needs to prevail in every adoption decision. I'm not in favor of discrimination. Families look differently from time to time. I support Virginia's right to work law. "What do you have against working families, Bob?" I've got support of both business AND labor. "You're 0 for 2 on that count, Bob."

McDonnell: "Creigh, there you go again." There's my wife and daughter. Frankly, I'm insulted that you'd suggest I don't support working women. I've got a clear record that people should be judged on the merits. A 2-parent family is the ideal environment to raise a child. Social service folks and courts can make decisions. Many single moms and single dads are doing tremendous job. The adoption law right now is good: best interests of child. Regardless of sexual orientation, an adoption can take place. Encourage more people to adopt.

Deeds: When I was 34 years old, I didn't write that working women were a detmiment to families. I didn't wait for an election year to change my mind, either.

Question from David Gregory on agree/disagree with President Obama.

Deeds: I'm proud to have President's support. I shared with him my concerns about cap and trade, EFCA, some of my concerns about health care, size of debt (someone will have to pay that back).

Gregory: "Is he your kind of Democrat?"

Deeds: "I'm a Creigh Deeds Democrat." "I like Barack Obama personally."

Gregory: Support of Phyllis Schafly who called Obama a radical.

McDonnell: Lots of people who support me that I don't agree with on everything. I have great respect for President Obama. I disagree with him on some things. I don't care if a Republican or Democrat is in charge, if they're wrong I'll say they're wrong. I agree with President Obama on education reforms. I agree with him on charter schools, merit pay for teachers. My opponent isn't for charter schools (until he stands with President Obama). My kind of Democrat is Sheila Johnson, a businesswoman who wants best person for job.

Gregory: Is opposition to Obama motivated by racism.

Deeds: There is a hint of racism in opposition to Obama, that's crystal clear. Outburst on floor of House the other day wouldn't have occurred in the past.

Liz Brachman question on support from area business leaders.

McDonnell: It's very important, heart and soul of my campaign. I believe the private sector, not more programs in Washington, is key to American prosperity. I strongly support free enterprise system, against intrusions into it. Business groups have all endorsed me. Records to mean things, my opponent has an "F" on small business. I'll work to attract business to Virginia.

Deeds: Endorsements are important. I have support of Mark Warner and Tim Kaine, also Republicans John Chichester, Marty Williams, Jim Dillard...they know both of us, they know I can bring people together. Education and transportation are cornerstone of our economy. Look at our business plans. Grow green energy economy. Fix transportation system, make historic investments in education. Bob's plan on opportunity fund is borrowed from me. He passes the ball off to Bill Bolling. With me, the buck stops here.

McDonnell: Most of "Virginians for Warner" leadership are now "Virginians for McDonnnell". Look at the candidates' plans on education. Deeds has no plan other than "elect me and I'll get it done."

CLOSING STATEMENTS

McDonnell: Thanks Chamber of Commerce. Economic development, job creation are #1 issue. Leadership skills to attract business to Virginia. I have a transportation plan, he doesn't, that simple. Energy independence. Promote nuclear, offshore oil, alternative energy. You have to look at the records. I've always supported policies to support economic development. Give young people better opportunities. These are the ideas that will create strong economy going forward. I've got an "A" rating, he's got an "F" from small business. National labor unions bankrolling his campaign. Right to work law is hallmark of our ability to attract industry to Virginia.

Deeds: Growing up in Bath County...Uncle Frank said you'll get out of camp exactly what you put into it. That's the lesson of life. You're either all in or not. If I have this extraordinary opportunity, I'll be all in, every day to create economic opportunity across Virginia. You want to know what people say, but you ask for references and you ask for resumes for a reason. I wrote governor's opportunity fund legislation. I wrote Megan's law, land conservation law. I'm proud of my legislative record. He's never introduced a bill to create a job. He introduced bills to restrict a woman's right to choose, focused on narrow social agenda. I'm proud of the people who support me. You're stuck with this hire for 4 years, you need someone focused on bringing people together and moving Virginia forward.