Pages

Advertising

You Know What's Also a Bad Idea, Scott?

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

In the soon-to-be-bankrupt Arlington Sun Gazette, editor-for-now Scott McCaffrey threatens my friend Miles Grant:
Soooo Desperate for Attention in the 47th?

Looks like the Miles Grant for 47th House of Delegates campaign is so desperate for attention these days that it's (a) putting out press releases announcing it "won't take any Dominion Power money" (although I'm pretty sure none will be forthcoming) and then (b) blasting me -- li'l old me! -- for not covering that press release.

Sigh.

I really have no interest getting into a pissing match with a campaign that's near the back of the pack - my trajectory is so much longer out there in public that it's not a fair fight - so I'll let their jibes pass. But I will note that, until the newspaper industry finally passes into oblivion (if it ever does), it's still a really, really bad idea to, as they say, pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel.
Well, you know what's an even worse idea than picking a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel, Scott? Picking a fight with people who don't HAVE TO BUY INK AT ALL! They're called bloggers, by the way, and they use pixels by the megabyte. Good luck fighting that, dude. Meanwhile, I urge everyone to support Miles Grant and to send a message to the "dead tree media" about what they can do with their fishwrap and "ink by the barrel."

P.S. Recall that the Sun Gazette endorsed Bill Bolling over Leslie Byrne in 2005 and George Allen over Jim Webb in 2006. What more is there to say?