Pages

Advertising

In Ohio, Obama Says He Wants Health Reform "By Fall"

Thursday, July 23, 2009


...I just want want people [in Congress] to keep on working. Just keep working.

I want the bill to get out of the committees, and then I want that bill to go to the floors, and then I want that bill to be reconciled between the House and the Senate, and then I want to sign a bill. And I want it done by the end of this year. I want it done by the fall.

Whenever I hear people say it's happening to soon, I think that's a little odd. We’ve been talking about health reform since the days of Harry Truman, and he’s saying reform is coming too soon. Too soon?

I don’t think it’s too soon for the families who’ve seen their premiums rise faster than wages year after year.

It’s not too soon for the businesses forced to drop coverage or shed workers because of mounting health care expenses.

It’s not too soon for taxpayers asked to close widening deficits that stem from rising health care costs, costs that threaten to leave our children with a mountain of debt.

Reform may be coming too soon for some in Washington, but it’s not soon enough for the American people.
Amen, brother Obama. Amen!