Pages

Advertising

Mark Keam for Delegate in the 35th

Monday, May 18, 2009

On Friday, I posted my initial thoughts on the 35th House of Delegates district Democratic primary for the nomination to succeed Steve Shannon, who is resigning to run for Attorney General. At the time, after reading the candidates' websites and watching a debate, I had narrowed down my choice to either Roy Baldwin or Mark Keam. Since then, I've had a chance to talk to people (and otherwise receive additional information) from people who are knowledgeable about those two candidates and the 35th district race in general. I also had a chance to sit down for a couple of hours with Mark Keam. Now, my mind is clear on this race and I'm ready not only to endorse, but to strongly endorse Mark Keam for delegate. Here's my reasoning, with the assistance of detailed and positive comments by friends and others that were posted on this blog:

*I agree with Eric Byler and "admire Mark Keam's progressive values and his dedication to Democratic causes." I also agree with Eric Byler that Keam "will best appeal to moderates and recovering Republicans because he comes across as dignified, knowledgeable, and pragmatic." An effective, pragmatic, progressive delegate in Richmond? I think I can deal with that! :)

*I agree with "kindler" that Mark Keam " is one of the most thoughtful candidates that I've seen," the rare candidate who is "holding serious issue forums where he talks with experts and regular folks about key issues like education and the environment, and really works through them." That's extremely impressive.

*Like Catherine S. Read, "I believe his presence in the VA General Assembly will benefit all Virginians, not just those in his own district."

*I agree with Annabel Park that Keam "is a truly exceptional person" who is "very intelligent and knowledgeable about the issues and the political process" and clearly "cares about people." In addition, based on a long conversation with Keam, I strongly agree with Annabel that "he is in politics because he is driven by his moral instincts, not some innate desire for power." Like Annabel, "I really trust him to make good moral decisions as well as political ones."

*I agree with Patricia that "Mark lives the idea that humility is power, that strength comes from service." I also couldn't agree more that this "is a rare thing and something we need more of in Richmond."

*During my conversation with Mark Keam, I grilled him on energy and environmental issues in particular, since those are the two issues about which I feel most passionately. He "passed" with flying colors as someone who truly understands what needs to be done in these areas. (note: we also talked about several other issues - labor, education, transportation, good government, etc. - and he was excellent on all those as well)

*Finally, I agree with Eric Byler that, all else being equal, it would be a positive to add Mark's diverse background to the General Assembly, to elect "Virginia's first Asian American state legislator." As Eric writes:
...Mark's election to the House of Delegates would mean something to previously underrepresented communities who will contribute to the Democratic party and the Commonwealth as they become more involved in the democratic process -- thus, I feel the milestone of Mark's election would mean something to all Virginians, much like President Obama's election struck a note of pride in all Americans.

With that, I enthusiastically endorse Mark Keam for the Democratic nomination from the 35th House of Delegates district. Keam will make a superb delegate for many years to come, and I am greatly looking forward to seeing what he can accomplish in Richmond. Go Keam!