Pages

Advertising

Terry McAuliffe Skewers....Journalists and Larry Sabato

Thursday, February 12, 2009

I wish they'd put this video on YouTube, but for now, this is where you can watch Terry McAuliffe, Brian Moran, Creigh Deeds, and Bob McDonnell roast themselves and each other at the Virginia Capitol Correspondents Association. I've been watching the video, and there are some great lines. Two of the biggest laughs come when Terry McAuliffe hits the journalists and pundits close to home. Check out these two lines.

*With the economy this bad, you have to have some contingency plans. So I've given some thought, what would I do if I don't win this? Well, let's see. I'm a best-selling author. I'm supremely self confident. I love to hear myself talk. I've got great hair. Maybe I could head up UVA's Center of Politics. [oooooohhhhhhh] Larry's not here, is he?"

*"Everywhere I go people tell me they're anxious, they're worried about their jobs, they don't know where they're going to get their next paycheck from, their industry is in serious problems, their future is in trouble. And they're gonna ask me, Terry, what can your jobs program do for me? I say, well, why don't you come back to me after you file your story then I'll tell you? [ewwwwwwwwwwooooh] Oh, your business is real healthy, I'm sorry. You guys are doing greeeeeaaat!" :)

I also enjoyed these lines by Terry (haven't seen videos by the other candidates yet, but they'll have a hard time topping Terry for comic timing and self-deprecating humor!):

*Let's first of all talk about my relationship with the Clintons. Yes, they are my friends, we go back an awful long time, I'm very proud of that fact. But I do get annoyed when some people write in the paper that, you know, Terry is just an errand boy for the Clintons. And I told the Clintons that today as I saw them when I dropped off their dry cleaning."

and

*My campaign team nixed my first slogan. McAuliffe for Governor: because there's no limit on what Virginians can do...or contribute!"

and finally...

*"Virginia doesn't need a fundraiser, Creigh Deeds needs a fundraiser!"