Pages

Advertising

Shocker! Sanford Was Having an Affair!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009


I know that this news will come as a shock to anyone who's watched as one "family values" Republican after the other has fallen to "sin," but here we go again.
Well, it doesn't get much crazier than this. Governor Sanford made a stunning admission at his news conference this afternoon that he has been having an extramarital affair with a "dear dear friend" in Argentina. The affair, he said, began "very innocently" but blossomed into "something much more than that."

"I've been unfaithful to my wife," Sanford said. "As a consequence, I hurt her, you all, my wife, my boys, my friends like Tom Davis. I hurt a lot of different folks. All I can say is that I apologize."

Sanford said he will resign as chairman of the Republican Governors' Association.
UPDATE: Chris Cillizza writes, "Sanford's 2012 candidacy is almost certainly over. Having an extramarital affair is bad, but not being truthful to the people of the state and disappearing for five days is unforgivable on the national stage -- or any stage for that matter. Let the search for a new champion for fiscal conservatives begin!"