Pages

Advertising

Scott Surovell Kicks off His House of Delegates Run

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Here's an excerpt from an email by Scott Surovell, a great Democrat who is running to replace the retiring Del. Kris Amundson in the 44th district (Fairfax/Mt. Vernon). I urge everyone to do what they can to help Scott, either by donating money or volunteering (or both). Thanks, and go Scott!
I am writing to request your help in a new challenge - my campaign for the 44th District of the Virginia House of Delegates in the Mt. Vernon/US 1 area of Fairfax County.

Unexpectedly, this past Wednesday, my delegate for the last ten years, Kris Amundson, announced that she was retiring. Delegate Amundson has been an highly effective and dedicated leader for our area and her decision was very tough one for her to make. After discussing the situation with my wife and family, I have decided to declare my candidacy for this seat.

[...]

To truly solve the state's problems, we still need to bring change to the Virginia House of Delegates. Todays House turns down and obstructs virtually every reasonable measure to move Virginia forward. Each year, it sends scores bills focused on divisive social issues or scoring political points instead of problem-solving measures to improve people's lives. I am committed to keeping the 44th district in Democratic hands and moving the House of Delegates to Democratic control. Our leaders cannot truly solve our problems until this happens.

I intend to focus on real long-term solutions to our transportation problems, investing in education at all levels, helping seniors have full lives in their community, ensuring a clean environment, giving our children full opportunities, creating real well-paying jobs, and making Mt. Vernon a better place to live.

While the voting record of this district is favorable for Democrats, we can take nothing for granted and I cannot campaign without resources, human and financial. I am trying to file a strong financial report by this Tuesday, June 30. With your help, in six days I would like to raise as much money as my opponent did in two months. If you can give $1,000, $500, $250, $100, or $50, I would be honored to have your support...