Pages

Advertising

Why We Pay Taxes

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

In response to the infantile argument by conservatives that we shouldn't pay taxes (except for the military, I guess), here are some good "tweets" on why we need to pay taxes.

mbrownerhamlin@JonHenke Because we have a somewhat progressive tax structure, I pay what I afford, like everyone else. Your argument is childish.

mbrownerhamlin@JonHenke Wrong. I pay taxes because it's part of the social compact of citizenship.

mbrownerhamlin"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society." --Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. #teaparty #teabagging #tcot

KagroX I pay taxes because Jesus did. #teaparty

briandevine@JonHenke I pay because it makes me feel like a patriot - like joe biden

aimeefausserRT @trentarmitage I'm proud to pay taxes because I enjoy having protection from Police and Fire departments #teaparty

And my favorite so far:

MattGlazerI pay taxes to ensure the far right wing has something to protest while the rest of us make sure gov't continues to work #teaparty

P.S. I pay taxes because I believe in a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Plus, I want to have enough money to kick pirate ass! :)