Pages

Advertising

Thinking About the 35th

Friday, May 15, 2009

Earlier today, I read the NLS endorsement (of Roy Baldwin) in the 35th House of Delegates district. I also reviewed the Inside Scoop debate held on April 26. Finally, I reviewed the four candidates websites - Roy Baldwin's, Mark Keam's, John Carroll's and Esam Omeish's. Now, I'm trying to decide whether or not to make an endorsement in this race. Here are my initial thoughts.

1. Although Esam Omeish is articulate, intelligent and progressive, I can't support him because of this. As someone who supports a peaceful resolution to the Arab-Israeli conflict, a call for "the jihad way" against Israel is simply unacceptable, as is the other incendiary, outrageous language in the video of Mr. Omeish's speech.

2. The other three candidates are articulate, knowledgeable and passionate. Watching the debate, I was most impressed with Baldwin and Keam.

3. Roy Baldwin, Mark Keam and John Carroll are all strong Democrats, but from everything I've seen, I'd say that Baldwin is the most progressive, followed by Keam and Carroll.

4. I particularly liked Baldwin's answers on "right to work" and on energy issues. I also thought Baldwin gave the strongest response to the question about the Republicans' rejection of $125 million in stimulus funds for unemployed Virginians.

5. I felt that Mark Keam didn't really answer the question on "right to work."

6. I did NOT like John Carroll's answer on coal at all and did not get the feeling, in general, that he understands the issue very well. On the other hand, I did like his answer on offshore drilling (although Baldwin's response was far more detailed).

7. Mark Keam's answer on nuclear power definitely demonstrated knowledge of that issue.

Anyway, the gist of all this is that I'm currently leaning towards Roy Baldwin, followed close behind by Mark Keam with a jump down to John Carroll (mainly because I didn't like his answer on coal at all). Anyone else want to weigh in as to why I should support either Roy Baldwin or Mark Keam in this race to succeed Steve Shannon? I'm also considering which candidate is most electable against what appears to be a tough Republican nominee (former Fairfax County Republican Committee chair Jim Hyland). Thanks.