Pages

Advertising

"McAuliffe has the potential to do a lot more"

Thursday, May 28, 2009

The headline of this diary is a quote from today's Washington Post profile of Terry McAuliffe that really captures Terry's approach and the style he would bring to leading Virginia. Here's a bit more:
"Maybe it's my prejudice from being from Southwest Virginia, but I start out saying I'm for Deeds," said Richard Young, 68, a Roanoke native.

Young said this while standing outside his Arlington house, watching McAuliffe work on his roof. As part of his campaign, McAuliffe has toiled at jobs ranging from waiter to firefighter, and on that day, he decided to join a crew that was working on Young's solar heating system.

McAuliffe said Young should get state tax credits, in addition to federal ones, for his "green" efforts. He then did something Young hadn't expected: He worked. He went from the roof to the basement and stayed about three hours, long enough to make Young question his vote.

The other two candidates "deserve it more," Young said a few days later, but "McAuliffe has the potential to do a lot more."

"He came and he really stayed," Young added. "It wasn't just a photo op. That surprised me."
Great stuff, highlighting Terry's tremendous energy and - yes - "hustle" (as in "Charlie Hustle"). I would say "Go Terry!", but I don't think he needs any encouragement. :)

P.S. I know that a few Terry haters out there will insist that McAuliffe supporters like myself (and thousands of others) must have some nefarious motives to back his candidacy. What they apparently can't understand is that when people like Richard Young and I met Terry, we were amazed at his drive, determination, energy, intelligence and seriousness (despite his image as a "huckster" or whatever). When I first chatted with Terry last fall, I almost immediately saw that he had "the potential to do a lot more." I also liked him almost immediately, despite coming in expecting not to like him (largely based on what I'd read on the "progressive" blogs). Today, after watching Terry build a superb campaign the past 5 months, one that reflects his personality, I see it now more clearly than ever: the guy's simply "got it." I also see a strong progressive on the issues I care about (environment, energy, education, infrastructure, etc.). Last but not least, I see in Terry a fighter who can take on Bob McDonnell and - to steal one of Brian Moran's lines - "beat him like a drum." I'm very much looking forward to the drumbeat beginning on June 10. And, knowing Terry, it will bright and early on the 10th, in spite of the previous night's celebration.

UPDATE: Check out this excellent column in the Collegiate Times as well. I couldn't agree more, "One meeting with McAuliffe is all an observer needs to fully comprehend this contagious energy." In addition, I agree with the author that Terry has "displayed a highly sophisticated knowledge of the issues most important to Virginians, which helps to invalidate the outsider image that has been perpetrated by some of his detractors."