Pages

Advertising

AIAW on "The Survival of the Progressive Virginia Blogosphere"

Monday, March 30, 2009

As always, Karen at Anonymous is a Woman (AIAW) has a well-written, intelligent diary on her excellent blog. This time, it's about no less than the "survival of the progressive Virginia blogosphere." Here's an excerpt:
Like many others across the progressive blogosphere, I was stunned by the level of acrimony that we were descending into in the primaries. And when Blue Commonwealth finally decided to fold under the weight of it, I was distressed all day yesterday.

Without a solid community blog, there would be a huge vacuum in Virginia progressive politics. Despite the disagreements over which candidate to support in the primary, bloggers create value in the election process. That's why all of the major campaigns have put out time and money to woo bloggers. Each of the gubernatorial campaigns has hosted blogger dinners, teleconferences, and interviews with bloggers. They have embraced live blogging and sat down for interviews with bloggers. Even small fry like me have been offered exclusive interviews. I don't do interviews because to do them properly and respectfully of the candidate, I think it requires lots of work researching the interviewees background and composing intelligent and challenging questions for him to answer. In short, interviewing is a skill that requires more dedication, time, and work than I am willing to give to what is for me a hobby.

If you're interested - and I definitely recommend it - you can read the entire article here.